Friday, December 18, 2009

Oil of cloves to prevent dry socket after wisdom tooth extraction?

So I had all four wisdom teeth removed four days ago. Only one was emerged partway (an upper one) and was beginning to become abscessed. The lower two were impacted but not emerged (I believe these were the two ';full-bony'; the dentist was referring to). I was put to sleep so I have only recently had little enough swelling to actually view any of the extraction sites, and wouldn't you know...the dentists office is closed for thanksgiving till my post-op appt. Well anyway what I would like to know is first of all is it normal to not have any pain? The sites themselves have not been sore at all...only one area on the outside of my face that was bruised. I have not even taken any pain meds for nearly 48 hours and still nothing. I literally cannot even tell that anything is different on the top ones and the lower ones I can feel just because it is still a bit tender but not painful. I have read that most people have extreme pain after (especially without taking their meds religiously) but I have even been late on meds regularly since the surgery O.o. Not a problem obviously but I almost wonder if he even really took all four out I am that comfortable. So I was hoping someone could tell me why that may be.


The other question is when he finished the surgery he left some clove oil medication in the lower sockets to prevent dry socket. When I went back to see him he took out the old stuff and put in new medicine. So my question is is this common? Also how does this affect post-op recovery. I mean since there arent stitches. Any info on why the doc might opt to do this instead of stitch the holes up (does it have anything to do with how deep the teeth were or if there was bone that needed to be removed). Also does this mean I shouldnt let any kind of food come in contact with the site given that the hole is still open with the medicine in it, even though I am not in any pain and plenty able to chew. I am just trying to get a feel for how this treatment changes care requirements and also why he would choose to put this in only these two. I know I should ask him but it has only started really puzzling me today and he wont be back in the office till the morning I see him to have the medicine removed anyway (which is still a ways away). Thanks so much for any insight :DOil of cloves to prevent dry socket after wisdom tooth extraction?
I think those are valid questions you are asking. I just got my left lower wisdom tooth removed last Thursday. The other 3 were removed at different times in the past and I got a dry socket in all of them...not a good thing to have at all, as it is extremely painful. This last extraction, I was feeling pretty much like you're describing...no pain at all (after having lots of pain with the others), so even though I was very thankful I was comfortable, I was a bit puzzled. Until Day 4: different story altogether. After 3 days of feeling great, I started having severe pain in my left lower jaw, ear and left side of my neck. I KNEW it was a dry socket and called and made an appointment. The oral surgeon confirmed that it was and packed the socket with the clove oil medicine packing. It immediately started feeling better because the clove oil sort of ';anesthetizes'; the area. Now I have to go back in the morning to have it changed, then again on Friday. My surgeon says it must be changed every other day. I'm a bit puzzled as to why your surgeon put the clove oil in at the very beginning. I've never heard of it done that way...only in the event of dry socket. Incidentally, the clove oil doesn't PREVENT dry socket, it only makes it feel better if you get dry socket and helps with pain while it's healing. But they do say that the lower teeth are much more susceptible to getting a dry socket than the top, so perhaps your dentist/surgeon goes ahead and puts it in just in case. Not sure why he doesn't have you come in more frequently for changing. But I would say that's probably why you are so comfortable...the clove oil is helping ';deaden'; the sites so you can't feel it. I think if I were you, I would just call them tomorrow (Wednesday) since they are closed Thanksgiving, and ask your questions. Maybe you should try to get in tomorrow to have the packings changed. Oh, and I don't think normally they suture the sockets up unless there was alot of surgical trauma to the sites. It's best to leave the sockets open so you can flush out with salt water every day and keep clean. They will close in with time. (Of course, if you have clove oil packings, you won't flush with salt water, but surely you will start doing that once they are removed.)





Good luck with your recovery. I'm happy for you that you aren't in any pain.Oil of cloves to prevent dry socket after wisdom tooth extraction?
Good for you. dry sockets are extremely painful. the clove medicine if removed will expose the nerve/gum and it will be painful. almost nothing helps until socket is covered . motrin helps. ask dds in am or next appt.

No comments:

Post a Comment